Skip navigation

Step 2: Documents to be produced

When giving or sending the M10s or CP10s to the registrar each of you must supply the following:Wedding Rings: image copyright Trish Photography

  • Your birth certificate
  • If you have been married or in a registered civil partnership before and the marriage or civil partnership has been dissolved or annulled, a decree of divorce or dissolution or annulment or a certified copy decree. A decree of divorce or dissolution granted outwith Scotland must be absolute or final - a decree nisi is not acceptable.
  • Evidence of your place of residence (Options: Utility Bill not older than 3 months, Bank/Building Society Statement not older than 1 month, valid UK driving licence, most recent council tax bill)
  • Evidence of Nationality e.g. valid Passport. If you are British and were born in the UK prior to 01/01/1983 your full Birth Certificate satisfies this requirement
  • Questions to be Answered by Parties who Submit Foreign Dissolution/Annulment Documents 
  • Questions to be Answered by Parties who Submit Foreign Divorce Documents
  • If your spouse or civil partner is deceased, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.
  • If you live abroad, or have been in the UK for less than 2 years, a Certificate of No Impediment may be required confirming that you are free to marry.

If any of these documents is in a language other than English, a certified translation in English must also be provided.

Your documents will be returned to you by standard 2nd class post.   If you wish for your documents to be returned by Special or Recorded Delivery, please enclose a pre-paid envelope with the relevant postage.

Do not delay giving notice simply because you are waiting for any of the documents to come to hand. If time is getting short it is better to give notice first and then pass the documents to the registrar when they become available; but they must be made available to the registrar before the ceremony. Provided the documents are in order the ceremony can proceed as arranged.

The registrar, in certain circumstances, will ask to see your valid passport or other document to provide evidence of your nationality.

If you are not British, not an EEA National or not Swiss

In addition to the documentation requested above you must also complete a Home Office Declaration of Immigration Status.

The above document must be submitted at the time of giving notice, failing to do so will result in the return of your application. In addition to the declaration, depending on your answers on the declaration, please supply the relevant documentation that the declaration requests.

Next - Step 3

Powered by GOSS iCM
©  Dumfries and Galloway Council